Saturday, February 7, 2009

I've aged 15 years today..

Kent was outside with Jon Kent and Zoey playing. I came inside with Nathan to fold some laundry and do something (forget now). I look over at Nathan he was red in the face like he couldn't get his breath and I could tell he was choking so I pick him up and hook my finger in his mouth to see if I could grab whatever it was.. couldn't. So I turned him upside down and hit his back and he threw up twice and out popped a penny. I think at this point I actually started breathing again for the first time in 2 minutes. This penny was the same penny that Jon Kent and Zoey were both playing with earlier. So I stomp out of the house with said penny in hand and Nathan in my other with baby puke all over me and command the kids to, "Get here RIGHT NOW!". I guess they could tell I was mad because by the time they both got to me they had their heads down and I think Zoey was already crying. I told them that pennies and little toys DO NOT belong in the floor and that if I see any of their small toys in the floor that they would be thrown away and they would get a spanking (yes, we do spank.. my kids, my rules.. your kids, your rules). I sent them both to their rooms to "think" about what I said. I handed over Nathan to Kent, who had a look of what in the world just happened on his face, and went inside to clean up the puke that was all over my floors and even on the front door. After I calmed down a little bit I went back into each of their rooms and reexplained what happened and what their punishment would be later if I found little things that they had left on the floor again. I then told them to stay in their beds until I wasn't mad anymore.. and while exiting their rooms told them "it might be awhile". Jon Kent started crying because he didn't want to stay in his bed and he was really sorry that Nathan was hurt (my sweet tenderhearted child) and Zoey... fell asleep... lol. I think I made Jon Kent stay in his bed around 15-20 more minutes and Zoey would have been able to get up too if she weren't asleep. Anyway, I am just really thankful that I was able to get my senses together long enough to remember what to do.. I was in a panic and was heading toward the door to go outside while I was doing it because Kent is certified in CPR and other life saving methods so I knew if I couldn't get whatever it was out of his throat, he could. Whew.. I'm sure I aged a few years and popped some gray hairs. While I was cleaning up and finally had my senses again I just bent over on my knees and thanked God that it turned out the way it did.

10 comments:

Bridgett said...

Thank goodness that story had a happy ending. So incredibly scary. :(

But I give major kudos to you for keeping your cool and remembering what to do...

I'm sure baby Nathan thanks you too! :)

XOXO

Stephanie said...

WOW thank GOD. I am so glad that he is okay. My kids choking is my biggest fear. Hopefully this happening prevented something worse from happening in the future because the kids will be more aware of dangers for Nathan.

The Queen said...

The Princess had something like this happen to the baby a few months ago. I was on the phone with her when baby stopped breathing...

I aged a lot.. She did CPR and dialed 911. She had her daughter breathing again by the time the ambulance got there.

It was a seizure from a fever spike.. I know what you went through.. I'm so happy that it had a good outcome..

Very proud of you for remembering what to do.. good job

The Queen..

D said...

Well, not to downgrade what happened but sounds like you're ready to be a nurse. We had to go through a check list, sort of, with Austin in terms of what Collin could, or would, get into and took his toys to tell him,'This is safe." and "This is not." Once he worked that out he now knows what he can leave out to play with and what he can't. Pennies are something we don't even let Austin play with but that's because when my brother was his age he swallowed one!

Kristine said...

Glad everything turned out ok...very scary!

Brandi said...

Oh My! Great Job for keeping it together (((hugs))) I'm happy to hear Nathan is OK.

Janis said...

WOW--How scary...Glad everything turned out okay!

Janis

Karen said...

That's so scary! Nathan choked on an artificial flower when he was around 5 months old, Mike was able to finger sweep it out without doing the back thrusts, luckily.

Hopefully JK and Zoey learned a valuable lesson. Were are always having to remind Justin not to leave things like coins laying around....I also stopped buying him stuff that contains little parts.

I'm glad everything turned out ok!

Christy said...

(((((((((Emily)))))))))) definitely scary. I got a penny stuck in my throat as a kid and they gave me a cinnimon roll to eat and it pushed it down and eventually I passed it. :X

So glad you were right there catch it.

Natalie said...

holy moley... i think i just got grey hairs while reading that! i am so glad that he is okay.

and i agree. my kids, my rules! AMEN!