Saturday, September 11, 2010

Where Were You?

I was 18. Engaged. And asleep.

Until my friend called me and asked me if I had heard.

"Heard what?"

"That the twin towers were hit. Like just a few minutes ago. Both of them."

"WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?"

"Just turn on the TV. It's all over the news."

And that's what I did.

I was freaked out. Scared. Worried that for whatever reason the terrorist were probably plotting right then and there to bomb my house. So, I ran through the shower and went to my friends house where we watched the news all day. And of course, we went out and got gas because the world was ending and we needed our gas tanks full. Everyone else had the same thought and it took us forever to fill our tanks.

I was supposed to be in English 101, but there was no way I was going there. Because, again, I just knew it would be bombed while I was there.

I called Kent and talked to him for a bit. He was at work. I couldn't get in touch with my daddy because he was teaching and I talked to my momma for a little bit. But mostly I watched the news and just watched in shock everything that was going on.

I was 18. Engaged. And very much awake.


2 comments:

Stephanie @ dirtandlace.com said...

I was a freshman in high school, in health class. Our principal came on the loudspeaker and told everyone to turn the TV on. We watched the news the rest of the day, and I had such a sick feeling. I still do.

JBGRIGS said...

It's a day I will never forget. Jason and I just woke up. I was getting ready for class and he was getting ready for work. I had the TV on in our bedroom when all of a sudden it came on as breaking news. I yelled for Jason and he came into the room as we were watching the news, the 2nd plane hit. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I started to cry. I was so scared so Jason held me tight. About an hour later it came over the TV that all classes at my University were canceled for the day. Jason still had to go to work. I sat at home the rest of the day with my eyes glued to the TV. My heart hurts for the people who lost a loved one that day.