Sunday, October 17, 2010

Day 17: Your Favorite Memory

No doubt it was June 9th, 2001. The day Kent proposed to me. I was shocked and surprised and happy.

Kent and my daddy had been working on a video of Kent reciting a poem that he had written to me before hand. I knew nothing of it.

On the day Kent proposed he was supposed to come over for pizza and to watch a movie. I had just gotten dressed in some lounge shorts and a tank top. My hair was still wet and curly wild. I walked out of my room and my daddy asks, "You're wearing that?" Which I thought was odd because we were just hanging out at the house and why was my daddy suddenly interested in my apparel? I just brushed it off and waited on Kent.

Kent gets to my house and he has on some slacks and a polo shirt. What is up with that? Again, call me naive but I still thought nothing of it.

Kent pops the movie in and the previews start. I get up to check on some new kittens that my cat had had a few days before. Kent kept telling me to come sit down. I told him I would in a minute. Kent kept telling me to come on and sit down. Annoyed, I did so.

About that time the screen pops up where it says, "And now for your featured presentation". Then the movie starts out with brown shoes and Kent's voice. The camera slowly goes up Kent's body all the while he is reading this poem to me. The poem was about how love isn't a feeling, but it's a commitment that you make to someone for the rest of your life. At the end the camera stops on Kent's face and he says, "And now Emily, I make that commitment to you." I look over at Kent who was sitting on the couch and he was now on one knee with the ring asking me to marry him. He said, "Will you marry me?" I then asked if he was joking. He said no and repeated the question. I, of course, said yes and the rest is O'ville history.

No comments: