Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Morbid.. it's my middle name

OK, so on my birth certificate my middle name is Elizabeth. But still.. I am morbid. Not morbid to where I want to visit cemeteries in the middle of the night or talk about death and dying all the time. But I am very clear on the fact that death happens and sometimes, as uncomfortable as it may be, you have to talk about it. Kent doesn't believe we should talk about it quite so much, but at least if I die first he knows most of my final wishes. Anyway, I said that to say.. my morbid DNA was apparently passed on to my children. Now, I understand that with my momma passing away a lot of this has to do with that. But goodness, almost everyday I am answering another (or the same) question about death. Today's conversation went a little like this:

Jon Kent: Was Gramsie buried in the dirt?
Me: Yes.
Jon Kent: Was she in a box in the dirt or just in the dirt?
Me: In a box. That box is called a casket though.
Jon Kent: Oh. Yeah that box, I mean casket, it's like a really big violin box.
Me: Well, that's one way to look at it.


No comments: